7 tips to keep your online bank account safe
Posted By Constance Khuzwayo
Internet has made a lot of things a lot easy. But along with ease, comes safety issues. Here are a few tips to keep your online bank account safe.
- Make sure that the bank’s website is a secure HTTPS website. Almost all browsers will show you a “HTTPS://” prefix in the address bar if the website is using a secure server certificate.
- Do not enter your emailID or bank account password on any website, except your bank’s website. You might get an email saying that you need to verify your bank account information. This message can be followed by click below to verify. Then when you click the link, it takes you to a crappy looking website where they ask you to enter your login information. The next thing you know is that you are at the bank trying to get your stolen money back.
- Never use your computer’s “remember password” option to remember your bank account’s password. This is true even if you are the only one using the computer. You don’t really need a human being sitting at the screen to steal your password. A computer virus can easily do the trick.
- Change your password often. I know that if you change your password often, then you run the risk of forgetting it, and entering wrong password a couple of times might get your account locked. One easy way can be to write down your current password on a piece of paper and store it somewhere in your house, not in your wallet.
- Always delete all cookies, cache and browsing history once you are done using your bank’s website. Some malwares and viruses can easily steal information from your browser’s cache.
- Scan your computer regularly for viruses and malwares. Malwares are softwares that are not detected by your anti-virus programs and can still steal your information, or just log your key-presses to find out your password. These are called key-loggers.
- Avoid using a shared computer when accessing your bank’s website like in a cafe etc. You should avoid using an open internet connection as well like a free wi-fi connection in a cafe or a public place. Network admins can easily look into logs and steal your passwords.
48000cookie-check7 tips to keep your online bank account safe