When making the household budget, it is perfectly normal for the cost of rent or mortgages to be higher than all other expenses in the household. However, the electricity budget is usually almost as high as that of the rent due to its high usage. It cuts down a large part of the household income and sometimes leaves people with little or no savings left. Although, the importance of electricity in our daily life cannot be overemphasized, yet the cost of managing electricity is so high that if we can do without it, we would. Staying away from electricity can shut one out of so many things, but there are ways to go about reducing its cost.
Switch off appliances when not in use
- Switch off the light and fan when leaving the room.
- Always switch off the TV before sleeping. Many people have the habit of sleeping off while the TV is on. Switch off the TV and go to bed when you begin to feel sleepy. Do not let your favorite TV show cost you your savings.
- Sometimes, it is not enough to switch off the appliances because some TVs still consume energy while the switch is off. It is better to unplug such.
Avoid high energy consuming appliances
- Replace high-energy consuming light bulbs with fluorescent bulbs.
- You can always open up the windows to allow ventilation instead of using the air conditioner. If opening the windows is not enough, a better alternative is using fans. Air conditioners tend to consume a lot of energy, but fans consume much less. If at all you will own them, make sure to put them on only occasions.
- Do not always use washing machines. Try to dip your hands in water and wash sometimes. It will save you a lot of money.
Use alternatives with less Energy Consumption
- Use gas cookers instead of electric stoves. It will save you a lot of energy
- Use bulbs with lower watts or switch to fluorescent bulbs.
- Using technology to ease our stress is perfect. But sometimes, you need to things yourself and not rely on machines. Use the broom instead of a vacuum cleaner, dry on the lime instead of dryers.
There are many ways in which a person can save electricity cost, but we have only mentioned a few important ones above.