8 hours 10 mins
Total Cost: $10.66
Cost Per Serving: $1.33
1½ lbs. chicken breasts $2.90
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa $1.99
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained $1.19
½ lb. (8 oz.) frozen corn $0.57
1 Tbsp chili powder $0.15
½ Tbsp cumin $0.07
½ Tbsp minced garlic $0.10
½ tsp dried oregano $0.03
¼ tsp cayenne pepper $0.02
¼ tsp salt $0.02
to taste cracked pepper $0.02
2 cups dry rice $0.66
8 oz. shredded cheddar $2.49
½ bunch cilantro (optional) $0.45
Add everything except the rice, cheese, and cilantro to the slow cooker along with ¼ cup of water (for good measure).
Give everything a good stir and make sure the chicken is covered in the mixture.
Secure the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hrs.
Near the end of the cooking time, cook the two cups of rice according to the package directions (Bring the rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium pot with a lid in place, as soon as it reaches a boil, reduced the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork before serving).
After 8 hours of cooking, carefully remove the lid of the slow cooker.
Stir with a fork to shred the chicken (it should be super tender and will shred easily).
Build the taco bowls by placing rice on the bottom, then the taco chicken mix, shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.
Taco chicken bowls
Step By Step Photos
This is the chicken that I bought. I usually buy a 5 lb. package to get a good price but even this 3 lb. package was priced super low! I used half and froze the other half for another recipe later. You can also use chicken thighs for a richer flavor (more fat) or bone in chicken and then just remove the bones after cooking.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker. Easy.
- add the rest
- Add the rest of the ingredients (salsa, drained beans, corn, herbs & spices) plus 1/4 cup water. Easy.
- Stir everything together and then make sure the chicken is pushed down below the sauce. Easy
- Secure the lid and cook on low for 8 hours. Easy.
- shred chicken
- Stir it up and give it a few good pokes with a fork to shred the chicken. It will be so tender that it will practically shred on its own. Easy.
- Cook some rice. Semi-easy.
- build taco chicken bowl
- Put the rice, taco chicken mixture, cheese, and cilantro in a bowl.
Eat. BAM. Easy.