You may be spending lots of time on YouTube, Facebook & other social media platforms. Instead of wasting your precious time, you can do something better like identifying ways to cut on grocery expenses. A good number of organizations & stores have launched discount coupons to attract customers to their business. You can save a good amount of money using these coupons. This hobby of collecting coupons is referred to as extreme couponing. As a beginner, you need to follow this guide to get started with couponing.
What is required?
- Store flyers
- Plastic binder with labels/dividers
- Local newspaper
Tips to follow
- Find time: You need to dedicate some time to couponing. Also cut down all unwanted distractions. With full concentration, couponing will take very little time & effort. You can spend around 1 to 2 hours a week and save approximately $25-50 weekly.
- Search for coupons: Get to know those sites where you can come across local coupons. There are 5 main places, where they are likely to pop up:
- Coupon sites
- Coupon apps
- Store flyers
- Local newspapers
- Store Bulletin boards coupon walls
You can also register with reputed sites like eBay, Amazon, Hotels.com, Macy’s, etc. & enjoy free cashback opportunities.
- Be organized: Being organized will help you to make the most from couponing. Haphazard attempts will only mean, it will become time-consuming and you might just give up trying. You need to take a concise approach to make the task seem effortless & simple.
- Understand overage & beat the system: If your coupon worth exceeds that of the product cost, then ‘overage’ occurs. This means, you either avail credit towards the existing bill or owed cash from the local grocer. To make this happen, you can do the following:
- Price-match an item for which you are using a coupon already.
- Combine store coupon & manufacturer coupon.
- Apply ‘Catalina’ coupons for your bills.
- Use the coupon for on-clearance or reduced items.
Common hiccups faced
Few common couponing issues encountered are:
- The store may have exhausted the product.
- The store might not permit the simultaneous use of two or more coupons.
- ‘Fillers’ might be necessary to fill up the overage gap.
- Few stores might not allow overage cash payment.
You can learn how to get started with couponing. But do buy only what you require & not out of excitement. Moreover, each coupon comes with varying terms & conditions, which you need to be aware of before using it.
You may also like: